Get cash from your website. Sign up as affiliate

Monday, May 24, 2010

“SUCCESS STORY / Lisa L. McEachern, 40: From 286 pounds ... - Atlanta Journal Constitution” plus 1 more

“SUCCESS STORY / Lisa L. McEachern, 40: From 286 pounds ... - Atlanta Journal Constitution” plus 1 more


SUCCESS STORY / Lisa L. McEachern, 40: From 286 pounds ... - Atlanta Journal Constitution

Posted: 19 May 2010 12:03 PM PDT

For the AJC

Lisa L. McEachern, 40. Weight loss: 110 pounds.

Former weight: 286 pounds

Current weight: 176 pounds

Pounds lost: 110 pounds

Height: 5 feet, 4 inches

How long she's kept it off: "I started my serious commitment to my weight loss when I turned 38 years old," McEachern said. "I gave myself until my 40th birthday, December 2009, to reach my goal of size 12 or less. I reached my goal in 10 months, July 2009."

Personal life: "I am a third-grade teacher in Clayton County, Ga. I am married to Tracey McEachern. We have three beautiful daughters: Toiya, Traci and Lauren. I am a native of Georgia and an [alumna] of Georgia State University."

Turning point: "The turning point in my life was after having my last daughter and being too tired to get up and warm a bottle," she said. "I had difficulty buckling the car seat without huffing and puffing, not to mention having a shortness of breath while carrying the baby up the stairs from the garage."

Diet plan: "I joined Casi's Straight Military Style Bootcamp (www.casisbootcamp.com) and she offered me a full-meal plan and journal for the entire six weeks," she said. "It made me accountable for my eating."

Exercise routine: "I started out working out seven days a week for at least 30 minutes," she says. "I have since gone to five days per week for approximately 90 minutes. I have combined cardio with strength training."

Biggest challenge: "The biggest challenge was getting over the embarrassment of not being able to keep up with the other ladies in the aerobics classes," she said. "I wanted so badly to be able to last an entire hour without stopping for a breath or drink of water. That was a personal goal of mine. I finally reached it and am now able to run four miles and do a spin class without taking a break."

How life has changed: "I have always been a happy-go-lucky person, but I can tell that my energy level has increased exponentially," she says. "It has spilled over into my professional life. I have enrolled my youngest daughters in extracurricular activities to encourage them to be active and fit."

Be an inspiration: If you've made positive changes in your diet and/or fitness routine and are happy with the results, please share your success with us. Include your e-mail address, a daytime phone number and before and after photos (by mail or JPEG). Write: Success Stories, c/o Holly Steel, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 223 Perimeter Center Parkway, Atlanta, GA, 30346-1301; or e-mail ajcsuccessstories@gmail.com.

Five Filters featured article: The Art of Looking Prime Ministerial - The 2010 UK General Election. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.



image

Fitness can be fun, too - The Vancouver Sun

Posted: 23 May 2010 11:37 AM PDT

The dark, dirty secret is finally out -- fitness for the sake of fitness is boring. So, this winter, play your way to physical fitness.

Offerings at front-running fitness and recreation centres will include all kinds of fun and games. Watch for cardio machines with on-screen "brain-fitness" games, Wii-hab rather than tedious rehab, outdoor fitness, "boomerized" sports and themed walks to take your mind off the work.

"We have pumped billions of dollars into (the fitness for fitness's sake) message for the last 20 odd years and we really haven't increased the number of participants a great deal," Colin Milner of the International Council on Active Aging said in an interview.

Most consumers are no longer motivated by vanity, but by fun, relaxation and energy-boosting life-management, said Milner, keynote speaker at the most recent 2009 B.C. Recreation and Parks Association conference in Vancouver.

Here's what to look (or ask) for at your local fitness or recreation provider this winter:

CARDIO/BRAIN-FIT BIKES

Why bore yourself on a regular treadmill, exercise bike or elliptical machine when you could be playing an absorbing touch-screen game of mah jong, while you're at it? Technogym is releasing its cardio/games product this winter, while NeuroActive's recumbent bike will work your math, memory and hand-eye co-ordination.

STRETCHING MACHINE

Stretching machines with a gauge and timer allow you to measure progress. Their supported stretches ensure correct form and you don't have to get down to the ground to stretch -- an altogether pleasant experience.

GROUP WALKS WITH A TWIST

Boring? Not at all. Look for group walks that integrate exercise, technology, socialization and brain work. Milner's seen GPS walks in an arboretum. Why not learn the history and biology of trees, while getting exercise? Ask your local recreation centre to set up scavenger hunts.

ZEN WEIGHT ROOMS

Never mind huge stacks of clanking metal. Baby boomers are seeking the mind-body connection, so watch for workout rooms with hidden weight stacks and a tranquil, soothing atmosphere, said Eric Kristiansen of Advanced Athletics Inc. in Vancouver.

The machines are a little hard to explain. Imagine doing Tai Chi-like movements while holding onto a pulley system that smoothly moves with you, providing constant resistance regardless of where you move your arms or body.

WII ROOMS

Instead of aerobics rooms, expect Wii rooms for rehab, fitness and sports especially in seniors centres and retirement communities, Milner said.

"It's so huge it's unreal. Literally over 60 per cent of our members with facilities to serve this market said in the next two years they will be putting Nintendo Wiis into their site," Milner said.

"In 27 years I have never seen a product catch on that quick. What has made it catch on so quick? Anyone can do it, it's social and it's fun."

Five Filters featured article: The Art of Looking Prime Ministerial - The 2010 UK General Election. Available tools: PDF Newspaper, Full Text RSS, Term Extraction.



image

0 comments:

Post a Comment